Sunday, November 19, 2006

Showers All Day

So, last Sunday we awoke to a rainy, miserable day.

"Showers all day," Mark said.

Odd choice of words, I thought. Why wouldn't he just say it's going to rain all day?

A few minutes later: "What time are you going to get your shower?" he asked me.

"Not sure. Why?"

Two more minutes pass: "I'm not sure what time I'm going to get my shower," he offers.

Not the usual Kehler morning banter.

A few more sentences were exchanged with the word "shower" in it until finally he said: "How about a baby shower today?"

YEY! My baby shower! I've been waiting a long, long time for a baby shower and it was finally here. Of course, Mark had to tell me that morning because the only way he would be able to (1) get me to shower (2) fix my hair and put on makeup (3) dress in clothes that actually cover my protruding belly and (4) leave the house would be to give me a really good reason to do so. And this was the best reason ever (next to my water breaking or contractions starting!)

It was a lovely event planned by my mom, with help from my sister and mother-in-law and Mark's aunt, held at my church just a few blocks down (remember, doctor's orders: I could have a shower, it just needed to be close by my house so I didn't have to be in a car for too long) and attended by about 50 close friends and family.

Everyone was so extremely generous. I couldn't believe all the gifts we received; it was an exhausting day just sitting there opening them all up. In fact, when my mom came over later in the week to wash the baby clothes before putting them away, I couldn't even remember opening up half the items!

We spent some time today putting everything else away -- the piggy banks we received as gifts on the shelves my dad stained for us; the Longaberger baskets in pretty pastel colors on the shelves; the 500+ diapers in the closet; the toys in (what else) a Longaberger basket; the picture frames stored safely away in a drawer just waiting for the first shots of Jillian and Max.

It all feels so close now.

I'm 30 weeks today. My midwife said she'd be happy if I got to 33 weeks; the high risk doctor said he probably wouldn't let me go much farther than 37 weeks if I didn't already go on my own.

I don't have a bag packed yet, although I feel like I should get that ready. Nor do we really have a game plan in place. We need to figure out who I'll call/what I'll do/how I'll get to the hospital if labor starts and Mark's traveling for work. We need to make a phone list of people to call to start sharing the good news of the twins' arrival...wow, so much to do yet...what am I doing wasting time here on this blog?

1 comment:

FishrCutB8 said...

Did they make you wear the bow on your head?