Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Buddah Babies

That's what we're growing, according to our doctor. Big Buddah Babies. And, anyone who's ever been pregnant --- and especially anyone who's been pregnant with twins --- knows that the larger your babies are in these stages of pregnancy the better. So we're thrilled with our Buddahs.

At our 24 week appointment today (and after the doctor proclaimed both my hugeness and the babies'), we learned that we already have some overachievers in the Kehler household. We were told at our last appointment to expect that Max may soon outpace his sister Jillian. Well, not true today. While the two have been pretty similar at all of our appointments (similar weight, heartbeat and measurements), Jillian took the past four weeks to buckle down and suck up all the protein I've been eating. She measured in at 1 lb 14 ounces; which puts her at 1 week and 2 days ahead of where she should be.

Max is doing well too. Although he fielded some pretty tough kicks to the face courtesy of his sister during the ultrasound, he is measuring ahead of the curve as well. Max weighs 1 lb 10 ounces, just a few days ahead of where he should be.

The only sad part for Mark is the linebacker he had been hoping for may turn out to be his daughter and not his son.

And, always the negotiator, I talked the doc into letting me do a few things that he wouldn't allow before.

1. I can now lay on either my left OR my right side. I know, exciting stuff, huh? (Hey, I warned you this wasn't going to be the most exciting blog). At first, he only wanted me on my left (some sort of vein/artery type reason). Additionally (and this is a big one), I can also spend some time propped up in bed. This option helps the typing issues I had before.

2. I can do steps once per day. He actually met me more than halfway on this. I started with just wanting to come down the steps on Saturday and Sunday and now he's letting me come down once per day. (I did have to promise Mark that I wouldn't come down when no one is here - that I'd only venture downstairs when someone is available to catch me).

3. I can have a baby shower. At first, he said I could only have one if it was held at my house and I laid down during the shower, but I got him to ease up on that one as well as long as I promised that it wouldn't be far and that I wouldn't lift anything and I'd stay seated the entire time.

We also had a good talk on his thoughts on a "natural" delivery versus a C-section. Luckily, we were both on the same page (and saying the same thing). His thought is why put yourself through 18-24 hours worth of labor if both babies aren't in the best position for a "natural" delivery. There's a chance that one could come out the natural way and the second would have to be delivered via C-section. Doesn't make sense to me to put your body through that, so I'm glad we're seeing eye to eye on that as well.

We go back in four more weeks. Can't wait to see how much bigger they've gotten.

No comments: