Sunday, October 15, 2006

Family, Friends and Food

Well, one thing I know for sure...no one wants these babies to go hungry.

Our weekend was filled with visits by family and friends --- and they all brought us plenty of food!

Friday night, our friends E & T (I'm using their initials because I think E shares the same paranoia that Mark does with being "public" on a blog) along with their 15-month old twin daughters came by for a visit. It's always fun seeing them, and they're great for pregnancy and twin advice especially since T was on bedrest with her twins for a majority of her pregnancy (I think from week 17 on!). And, did they ever know what to bring to hit the spot ---- a McDonald's vanilla milkshake and some fries. If I weren't annoyed with Rachael Ray, I'd shout out a big YUMO. That treat sure did hit the spot. As an added bonus, with their twins exploring our house, we got a good idea of what needs to be baby-proofed (everything!).

Saturday, my mom came by, and after spending an hour in my bedroom sorting through all the baby clothes I bought and my sister gave me, spent the rest of her day in my kitchen cooking us meals for the week. Homemade chicken pot-pie (which, sadly, did not make it through the weekend --- it was so good, Mark even had some for breakfast this morning), hamburgers in sauce, chicken breasts and a beef roast...I don't do that much cooking in a month and she made all those meals in an afternoon. Needless to say, we're set for the week.

Then, a nice surprise -- our friends Tammy and Jim (who won't remain nameless) and their 21-month old daughter came by Saturday night bringing meals and treats as well. Tammy is 9 months pregnant herself - due any minute now (for her sake, hopefully soon!) - and still had the ability to cook us some fantastic meals --- a macaroni and cheese and ham dish (which also did not make it through the weekend --- we mopped that up as well!) and some baked manicotti (can't wait to try that!). Plus, they brought this fabulous cheese spread from a place called Tony's deli which goes on everything --- today I had it on graham crackers and grapes. They brought some fresh baked cookies and a month's worth of US Weekly magazines too!

On another more fun, competitive note....our "Great Freeze Out" is on. Mark and I have a competition every year to see who has to be the first one to turn the heat on in the house. Let's just say, I win every year and this year will be no different. And, for anyone who knows my husband, you know that it takes a lot for him to get cold...he sweats - a lot (so much so that we ordered him two extra shirts to go with his tux on our wedding day so he could be "fresh" throughout the day). He was so cold on Friday night that he slept in a thermal shirt, a t-shirt and a hooded sweatshirt as well as flannel pajama bottoms. I think he's going to break soon. In fact, tonight might be the night.

No comments: